Monday 21 October 2013

Nice to meet you, Michael!

The agency author I've interviewed this time around is Michael Murphy, author of mystery novel, Scorpion Bay and others. I hope everyone is enjoying these interviews as much as I am and you are visiting the blog as a chance to get to know each other better.

I am running low on interviews so if you'd like to be featured please email me at rachelbrimble@googlemail.com and I'll add you to the list. Dawn has a LOT on authors of her list and I know I've only interviewed a handful. So, come on, don't be shy! ;)

Rachel x
1) What is the best part of the writing process for you?

The part of writing I enjoy most is letting the subconscious mind work on plot and characterization. It’s the creative part. Sometimes it’s dreaming and sometimes the process occurs when I’m driving or on the treadmill. If I really let my mind take over, then putting the scene down on paper is just mechanical.

2) Favourite author/s & book/s?

I mostly writing the kind of books I enjoy reading, mystery and suspense. Nelson DeMille inspires me by his ability to weave humorous characters into the action and suspense and Dennis Lehane inspires me with his intricate plot twists. My favorite book is Plum Island, by DeMille.

3) What’s next for you?

I’m awaiting word on the sale of the best book I’ve ever written, Good-bye, Emily. I ventured far from mystery and suspense with a character driven novel about a man who just turned sixty. Determined to scatter his wife’s ashes, he recreates a roadtrip with his two buddies from high school. They head back to where he met Emily, Woodstock. It’s funny, touching and full of music and memories of that era.

4) Where would you like your career to be in 5 years?

Sometime in the next five years, I’d like to enter a Starbucks and see someone reading my best seller.

5) What comes first, plot or characters?

My answer to this question has changed over the years. When I started writing novels, I thought it was plot, but now I strive to create memorable characters. I have fun challenging them with plot, but at the end of the day, or the end of the novel, it’s the events’ impact on the characters that matter the most.

6) What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Urban chicken farming. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment